Name : Dr.R.S. Neelakandan
Date of Birth : 14 January 1957
Undergraduate Degree : Madras Dental College, Madras University
Year of Qualification : 1975 - 1980
Postgraduate Degree : Madras Dental College, Madras University
Year of Qualification : 1985 – 1987
Other Qualifications : Special trainee in Plastic &
Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery;
Madras Medical College, Chennai
Undergraduate : 17 years
Postgraduate : 10 years
Awards Won : Gold Medal by Indian Dental
Association, Madras for Best Outgoing Student of IV BDS, 1979 Madras Dental College.
Current Post : Professor & Head of the Department,
Meenakshi Ammal dental College and
Plastic & Reconstructive Training
Dept. of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, University of Leipzig, Germany - 6th Sept 2005 to 6th October 2005
Other administrative & academic posts held
- 1. Positions in AOMSI - Ex-treasurer
- 2. Faculty, ACOMF
- 3. Advisory committee to Dr.MGR Medical University, Tamil Naidu
Hande Hopsital-Centre for Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Chennai
Hariharan Hypertension & Diabetes Centre & Hospital, Chennai
- 1. Handbook of Maxillofacial Distraction Osteogenesis, presented at People’s Dental Academy, Bhopal (M.P); Oct’2011
- 2. Course manual of hands-on workshop on Distraction Osteogenesis, CSM Medical University, Lucknow; Nov’2011
Scientific papers presented and published
International (Indexed in Pubmed)
Osteopetrosis-associated osteomyelitis of the jaws: a report of 4cases.
Krithika C, Neelakandan RS, Sivapathasundaram B, Koteeswaran D, Rajaram PC,
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod. 2009;108 (3):e56-65.
Intraoral maxillary transport distraction: a casereport.
Neelakandan RS, Mathew PC.
J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;67(8):1751-5.
Neelakandan RS, Deshpande A, Krithika C, Bhargava D
Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011 Mar 16. [Epub ahead of print]
Rhinosporidiosis of the Parotid Duct.
Neelakandan RS, Krithika C, Devadoss P, Balamanikandasrinivasan C
J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011 Aug 1. [Epubahead of print]
Orofacialgranulomatosis: a clinicopathologic correlation.
Thomas TK, Neelakandan RS, Bhargava D, Deshpande A
Head Neck Pathol. 2011;5(2):133-6.
International (Indexed in OCLC, Summon by Serial Solutions)
Tuberculous lymphadenitis presenting as inflammatory cervicofacial swelling in a 12-year-old girl
Neelakandan RS, Darpan B, KumaranM,Raj AI
J StomatOcc Med 2011;4(2):72-5.
Transport distraction along midline – conceptual analysis
Neelakandan RS, Darpan B.
J StomatOcc Med 2011 Oct; [Epub]
National (Indexed in Pubmed)
Correlation of clinical and MRI findings of tempero-mandibular joint internal derangement
Chowdary UV, Rajesh P, Neelakandan RS, Nandagopal CM
Indian J Dent Res 2006;17(1):22-6.
Comparison of morbidity following the removal of mandibular third molar by lingual split, surgical bur and simplified split bone technique.
Praveen G, Rajesh P, Neelakandan RS, Nandagopal CM
Indian J Dent Res 2007;18(1):15-8.
Total alloplastic tmj reconstruction for management of ankylosis
Neelakandan RS, Raja DK
Accepted for publication in Journal of Maxillofacial & Oral Surgery, 2013
National (Indexed at libraries other than Pubmed )
Rhino Cerebral Mucormycosis- A Case Report
Indian Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery 1992;12(3):19-22.
Central Schwannoma of the Maxilla- A case Report
Indian Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery 1999;14(3):16-20.
An Unusual presentation of a Juvenile Ossifying Fibroma- A case Report
Neelakandan RS, Ramakrishna Y, Titus TK
Interact (Yearly Publication of MeenakshiAmmal Dental College) 2000.
Peripheral Giant Cell Granuloma - A Case Report
Neelakandan RS, Gokkulakrishnan S
Indian Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery 2002;17(1)
Osteopetrosis Complicated by Osteomyelitis of the Maxilla: Two Similar Case
Neelakandan RS, Maxim J
Indian Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery 2002;17(2)
Surgical Management of Maxillofacial Injuries-A Review
Indian Journal of Trauma Anesthesia & Critical Care 2002;3(1):69-73.
Efficacy and Safety of the First Parenteral Selective Cox-2 Inhibitor, ParacoxibSodium, in Adult Patients with postoperative pain
NeelakandanRS et al
Journal of Indian Medical Association
A study on Mandibular reconstruction
Neelakandan RS, Rajesh P, Thomas H
Indian Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery 2003;2(2).
Patients Perspective following Orthognathic Surgeries
Neelakandan RS, Rajesh P, Thanvir MN
Indian Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery2003;2(2).
Ethmoidal Sinus Osteoma with Chronic Dacryocystitis- A case Report
NeelakandanRS, AnuradhaP,Puneet W
Indian Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
An unusual Oral Presentation of Primary hyperparathyroidism A Case Report
Indian Journal of oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Influence of incision on post operative complications in impacted mandibular
third molar removal: Comma incision versus Standard incision.
NeelakandanRS, Puneet W
Indian Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery2005;4(4):19-24.
Influence of impacted third molars on angle fractures.
NeelakandanRS, Elavenil P
Indian Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery 2005;4(4):35-38.
Transport distraction – a mode to mandibular reconstruction
Neelakandan RS, Thanvir MNK, Puneet W, Pradeep D
Journal of Maxillofacial & Oral Surgery 2007;6(3):25-28.
Various modalities of closure of oroantral fistula
Adalaide H, Rekha M, Neelakandan RS
Journal of Maxillofacial & Oral Surgery 2007;6(3):11.
Bifid Hyperplastic Mandibular Condyle
NeelakandanRS, Darpan B
JMaxillofacOralSurg 2011July 26. [Epub ahead of print]
Bilateral Transmigration of Mandibular Canines: A Rare Occurrence
PradeepD,Neelakandan RS, Darpan B, Ramakrishnan T
JMaxillofacOral Surg2011 March 22. [Epub ahead of print]
Surgical management of fibroosseous lesions of jaws - Triple`O’ conference in Saveetha Dental College, Chennai
Management of tumors of the jaws – Tamilnadu State Dental Conference, Trichy, 2003
Versatility and pitfalls of distraction osteogenesis in maxillofacial reconstruction - Our experience - National conference of AOMSI, Mangalore, December 2003
The role of distraction in reconstruction of the TMJ - Symposium on TMJ, Sri Ramachandra Dental College and Hospitals, Feb 2004
Our experience with transport distraction in reconstruction of mandible-RajaMuthiah Dental College, Annamalai University, Feb 2005
The Indian experience on transport distraction in mandibular reconstruction- Course conducted by Asian Association of Craniomaxillofacial Surgery, University of Hong Kong
Distraction Osteogenesis : Armed Forces Dental College, Pune, 2008
Distraction Osteogenesis- Subarti Dental College, Meerut, August 4 -6,2008
Distraction Osteogenesis - Kotiwal Dental College, Moradabad, August 7 -8, 2008
Concepts in bone lenghthening and bone regeneration - ROME, Sri Ramachandra Dental College and Hospitals, Sep 2008
Complications in orthognathic surgery - FACE conference, Railway Hospital, Perambur, Chennai, September 2008
Distraction osteogenesis - SIBAR Dental College, Guntur, 2009
Mandibular reconstruction by distraction osteogenesis - CME meet on maxillofacial controversies & comments, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College & Hospital, August 21, 2009
Transport distraction for mandibular reconstruction - AO Advanced Sysmposium on Craniomaxillofacial Reconstruction, AO/ASIF foundation (Switzerland), Bangalore, September 2009
Role of distraction osteogensis in mandibular lengthening, Vinagaga Mission Dental College atSalem, October 2009
Transport distraction for mandibular and maxillary continuity defects - 34thAOMSI & 1st meeting with British association of oral & maxillofacial surgeons, Cochin, Kerala, November 2009
Distraction osteogenesis - 35th Annual conference of the Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons of India, Coimbatore, December 1 -4, 2010.
Craniofacial distraction osteogenesis- Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, Chennai, April 30th&May 1st 2011
Management of facial asymmetry, AOMSI Midterm conference & 2nd Post graduate convention, Kanyakumari, June 17 – 19, 2011
Role of transport distraction in maxillary regeneration 8 case reports - The Third World Congress of the International Academy of Oral Oncology, at Singapore, July 15-17, 2011
Distraction Osteogenesis in the correction of secondary deformities following TMJ ankylosis – TMJ Confluence, Gurgoan, October 14 -15, 2011
Face make over – Esthetic & Cosmetic surgery workshop, Kothiwal Dental College, Moradabad, October 17, 2011
Distraction osteogenesis of facial skeleton – 36th AOMSI, Delhi, November 23 – 26, 2011
Transport Distraction in cleft alveolus – INDOCLEFTCON 2012, January 26-28th, 2011
Transport distraction – TN AOMSI REVIVAL – Nov 3 & 4th 2012, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
Transport distraction osteogenesis – RECON 2012, National workshop on mandibular reconstruction, Institute of Dental Sciences, Bareilly, 28th Sept 2012
Cross sectional imaging in OMFS – 37th National Conference of AOMSI, 29, 30th Nov & 1st Dec, 2012, Hyderabad
Orthognathic surgery and orthodontics, at Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, Chennai, November, 1999.
Head & neck oncology in association with the faculty of oncology NIMS, Hyderabad at MeenakshiAmmalDental College, Chennai in December 1999.
CME programme, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, February 1998.
Cleft lip and palate, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, December 2000.
Oral implantology, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, January 2002.
Distraction Osteogenesis, Panineeya Mahavidhyalaya Institute of Dental Sciences, Hyderabad, July 15, 2007
Distraction Osteogenesis, Sri Sai Dental College, Vikarabad, Andhra Pradesh
Distraction Osteogenesis, Kamineni Institute of Dental Sciences, Nalgonda, Andhra Pradesh, June 26-27, 2007
Distraction Osteogenesis, SVSC Dental Collage, Mehaboob Nagar, Andhra Pradesh,April 2008
Limited Attendance on transport distraction of mandibular continuity defects- 18th ICOMS, Bangalore, December 2007
CME meet on Maxillofacial Controversies& Comments – Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, August 21, 2009
Craniofacial distraction osteogenesis – Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, Chennai, April 30th to May 1st 2011
Mandibular distraction osteogenesis - Dr. Sudha & Nageeshwara Rao Siddharatha Institute of Dental Sciences, Vijayawada, August 2011
Transport Distraction Osteogenesis-AOMSI state branch, West Bengal at Kolkata in 2012
Workshop on distraction osteogenesis for reconstruction of maxillomandibular defects, Mount Abu, 2012
Distraction Osteogenesis – Current Trends in tumours & tmj surgery, Jabalpur hospital & research centre, Jabalpur 2013
Distraction osteogenesis – solving the reconstructin dilemma, Modern Dental college & research centre, Indore, 12-13th July 2013
TMJ Reconstruction & Transport distraction – Aspirations 2013, 6th Annual conference of state chapter of AOMSI, Ongole, 26-27th July 2013.
Research activities and projects
- Comparison of Morbidity following the Removal of mandibular third molars by lingual split Surgical bar and simplified split bone techniques
- Changes in facial movement after maxillary Osteotomies
- Assessment of blood loss in Orthognathic Surgery: a comparative study between normotensive and hypotensive anesthesia.
- Skeletal Stability following Lefort 1 osteotomies-a comparison between wire osteosynthesis, rigid and semi-rigid fixation.
- Effect of Orthognathic Surgery on the maximum voluntary bite forces
- Prediction accuracy and post operative soft tissue and airway changes following Orthognathic surgery.
- Platelet rich plasma in Maxillofacial surgery
- Versatility of nasal septal cartilage graft in oral and maxillofacial surgery
- A comparative study on the efficacy of adrenaline containing local anesthetic and plain local anesthetic in hypertensive patients by assessing the cardiovascular parameters
- A study on mandibular reconstruction
- Distraction Osteogenesis for mandibular deformities
- Maxillofacial infections and their management.
- Comparison of morbidity following the removal of mandibular third molars by lingual split, surgical bur and simplified split bone technique.
- Correlation of clinical and MRI findings of TMJ internal derangement
- A comparative study of GA with nerve blocks versus routine GA with opioid for Oral and Maxillofacial surgeries.
- Diagnostic Ultrasonography in oral and maxillofacial Surgery
- Versatility of the pectoralis Major myocutaneous flap in the reconstruction of various site of the Oral Cavity
- Role of bone Scintigraphy in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Value of Diagnostic Ultrasound (Two dimensional duplex and colour Doppler) for the assessment of post-operative wound healing in Orthognathic surgery.
- Versatility of temporalis flap in maxillofacial defects
- Determination of efficacy of platelet rich plasma (PRP) in accelerating the mineralization content of new bone regenerate following distraction osteogenesis
- Relationship of presence of impacted third molars and incidence of condylar fractures
- Retrospective study of zygomatic complex fractures
- Alveolar distracton osteogenesis
- A comparative study of postoperative morbitity following transalveolar extraction & coronectomy of impacted 3rd molar teeth
- Transport distraction osteogenesis for maxillary cleft alveolus